Monday, September 28, 2015

Dandy Warhols - Come Down

This is the first post in our "Top 5" series. I asked each of you to recommend your Top 5 recommended albums. Then we all voted. So this rotation represents what the group wanted to hear from your best albums. Let's get started...

=
The year was 1998. My roommate Will and I were doing physics homework in our freshman dorm (RTR). All of a sudden a cute indie/alternative girl was on the TV playing the keyboard and dancing "among a troupe of dancing syringes" to some catchy lyrics....



"I never thought you'd be a junkie because heroin is so passé.
But today, if you think that I don't know about depression and emotional pain,
You're insane, or you're a fool who hasn't paid attention to a word that I say.
In a way, I can't help but feel responsible, I always knew that you were insane
With your pain, but I never thought you'd be a junkie because heroin is so passé."

It took a few more years of off-and-on listening, but the Dandy Warhols were soon up there with some of my top contemporary bands (in the company of greats like Weezer and Radiohead), the biggest difference being that most people had never heard of them.


Come Down was actually the Dandy Warhol's sophomore release. The bands' preceding and following albums are equally strong, but this one gets recommended in my Top 5 because (1) while some of you have heard of the Dandy Warhols, many of you have not listened to them, and (2) it's just a really great album for almost occasion, rocking or chilling out.

Here are my highlights (yep, almost every track...i even put the most rocking songs in blue for Josh):
  • #1: "Be in" is a great mellow saunter into your speakers
  • #2: "Boys Better" has made the kickoff track of countless mix CDs 
  • #3": Minnasoter" had an ironic country twang before skinny jeans and mustaches were cool again
  • #5": "I Love You" is the creepiest song that never made a movie soundtrack
  • #6: "Not If You Were the Last Junkie on Earth" - see above
  • #7: "Everyday Should be a Holiday" was the rally cry that preceded the Dandy's next big hit*
  • #8: "Good Morning" is a reflective groove
  • #11: "Cool as Kim Deal" makes you want to go listen to a Breeders (or Pixies) album
  • #12: "Hard on for Jesus" demands that you get in the car and drive fast
  • #14 "the Creep Out" is the song you play when you're exiting the interstate to avoid that you just sped past from the earlier track.
*While the Dandy's following album 13 Tales from Urban Bohemia had that one popular song (oh, it's a good one), the album doesn't have the the through-and-through goodness of Come Down. Don't get me wrong, 13 Tales is a beautiful piece of work, but it just won't rock you as much.

So give the Dandy Warhols a try with Come Down — it's a solid 4 that you'll soon make a 4.5.

And then you'll know what's up.

download.

4 comments:

  1. they opened for David Bowie in Paris in 2003 it was amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. They own a whole block that they've turned into a compound in Portland, OR. They rock pretty hard, but they're also kind of known for being total dicks (or the lead singer is at least). I seem to recall reading about him shouting "Do you know who I am?!" at some poor employee at the Whole Foods I worked at in Portland, which is always a hilarious thing to yell at someone, unless you are serious.

    That being said, this is a good album but Dandy's Rule OK is better (and an almost perfect record). 4/5. though. Good choice, Raman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gotta be honest. I wanted to like this as I have heard a couple other songs by them (of course via Raman) and I LOVE their name. But I just couldn't get into this album. It dragged. The songs are far too long. And it felt very one-note for me. I won't write them off yet as I have a feeling, as they developed, they probably showed more range. I'd like to know "who they are," to paraphrase Joshua's quote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @josh - yea agreed that the Dandy's frontman is likely a dick, but what rockstars aren't (actually i can name several, but you get my point)? for further proof of such dickery, definitely, check out "DIG" the Dandy's quasi-documentary with the Brian Jonestown Massacre, which was called "a viciously sharp essay on art, commerce, friendship, and madness" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84oiQJ1N9To

    @rajiv - i dismiss your short attention span for awesome music, or as my buddy Anakin once said "i find your lack of faith disturbing" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbltJ70Zzx8

    ReplyDelete