Sunday, August 30, 2015

Titus Andronicus - The Most Lamentable Tragedy (2015)



"Whatever's inside/Let it climb out/That was his plan/And it's mine now!"


I'm probably breaking some unwritten Musooklub rule here by posting an artist more than once, but I don't care!  

If memory serves the majority of you musooklubbers really and truly did not enjoy their 3rd album (at present time the aggregate rating of that record is 2.6/5; much lower than the 4 that I gave it), and it seemed that most of the reasons for the dislike were because of the lead singers voice (actually it seems like a lot of what I post gets poor reviews with the singer's voice being cited as a reason...) but you know what, fuck it:  We're doing this.

Patrick Stickles has expressed on more than one occasion that he is after that lyrical crown that sits on the head of Biggie Smalls; he wants to be the greatest lyricist in the world.  A brash and seemingly arrogant goal to set for oneself to be sure, but now that Titus Andronicus ("+@" in their now adopted shorthand) has four dense, bold, and vastly different albums under their belts, listeners can now begin to fully grasp that yes, indeed, Stickles means it.  Does he succeed?  I can't really say.  But on their fourth album, The Most Lamentable Tragedy, +@ have certainly outdone themselves.

One part Rock Opera that at times channels Bruce Springsteen and Meat Loaf and one part apology letter/explanation to those friends and family who have been exposed to Stickles' chaotic manic depressive states throughout his life, TMLT is a huge undertaking.  Without cynicism and certainly without compromise, Patrick Stickles and crew have delivered a truly remarkable, fully realized and handcrafted album.  

Clocking in at 5 Acts, 29 tracks, and over 1.5 hours, The Most Lamentable Tragedy (TMLT) is going to take some work on the listener's part to unravel (I hope you, dear musklubber, are up for the challenge.) In a nutshell though, here's the plot:

"TMLT tells the story of a depressed, bedraggled, beaten-down narrator, one who first fell into the system of institutionalization at age four and who faces an unremittingly bleak existence. Eventually, though, he meets someone who looks just like him, an immediate tipoff that we’re looking at a Narrator-And-Tyler-Durden situation. And this mystery friend teaches the narrator to embrace the chaos of his life, to not mind losing his mind. There’s a love story, an inevitable unraveling of that love story, and possibly a plot to assassinate Ronald Reagan. It ends in death, and that’s not a surprise, either; the album’s title lets you know that going in. Within that narrative frame, there’s even more going on: References to old Titus songs, repeating themes, musical allusions. Patrick Stickles sings from the points-of-view of a few different characters. They’re reflections of his own point of view, and it’s rarely entirely clear which is which." Tony Breihan - Stereogum

There is a whole hell of a lot to this album; lot's of stuff that works, some stuff that doesn't. (I'm not especially partial to A More Perfect Union, the last 5 minutes of S(HE) SAID/S(HE) SAID, and unfortunately the closing track Stable Boy leaves something to be desired (though it was recorded using the same boombox that was used for the first track on their first album, so I can appreciate that bit coming full circle).  

Aside from that though the vast majority of the rock opera works: the rock songs rock, the punk songs kick you in the gut, and the story is told well. In a way it mimics the manic depressive's varying states of mind throughout the album (periods of incoherence and fevered energy with opposing bouts of soul crushing lethargy).  At the end, if the message hits you as it's hit me, you really gain an appreciation and thankfulness if you are blessed with mental health, you feel empathy for Stickles and his struggles and desire to gain health, (or at least figure out how to get by), and you gain admiration for an artist who is putting it all out there on the table.  

Stickles encourages you to explore each lyric; each track below is hyperlinked to genius.com, which houses the official lyrics and are annotated with explanations from the band (also allowing listeners to offer their own observations and theories about the songs.)  That alone is a pretty innovative use of the internet, at least one that I've not seen done before.

I'm no professional music critic, so I'm going to cheat here and offer up some snippets from actual music critics (and one troll):

"Is there another band recording today that so deftly walks the tightrope of simultaneously not giving a fuck and giving their all than Titus Andronicus? The New Jersey band’s anthemic, sprawling punk rock has always had a sense of impassioned nihilism about it, with lyrics laden with references to philosophy, art, and history and intensely personal songs filled with naked emotion." - Ben Cannon, The AV Club

"Each Titus Andronicus record is multidisciplinary. You get some history lessons, philosophical inquiries, explosions of English wordplay and plenty of music theory. It only makes sense their records’ durations stretch out since they’ve got so much to pack in them. Stickles is a guy writing lyrics off the page and struggling to fit them all into the melody. Even when his suitcase is crammed to the point of explosion though, he’s a master of his craft. He never wastes or recycles; he just uses more than most."Mack Hayden, Paste Magazine

"The hope is that it will have a different power when it's assembled than its component pieces have on their own...It's wack that music and every kind of art is getting more and more disposable all the time. People think that if a record isn't good to put on when you're making dinner or you're picking out your outfit, then it's worthless. But that isn't true. It's a good feeling when you have an artist that you really love surrender to their vision, however large and hopefully immersive it is." Patrick Stickles, Interview in Esquire

"The Clash were hyped as the "only band that matters," a dubious claim because it was invented by their record label. But for their fans, Titus Andronicus is this type of group. They turn a great, burning eye upon the world and spare no one from their observations, not even themselves. For listeners attracted to rock'n'roll as both flagellating whip and eternal flame, this is powerfully enticing—especially if you also believe the world is on the perennial edge of collapse. (Ironically, they take a similarly analytical approach to the ugliness in themselves and in the world as Kendrick Lamar—only, of course, they'd never sell any shoes.)" - Jeremy Gordon, Pitchfork

"It’s hard to know how seriously to take this kind of thing. On the one hand, the album’s story is based in Stickles’s own experience of a nervous breakdown and depressive illness, and the singer doesn’t appear to be a man much given to flippancy: during one recent interview explaining the album, he burst into tears. On the other, taken in isolation from the accompanying storyline and the stuff about Nietzsche, his lyrics are often comically bathetic or slyly witty. “And everywhere you turn there are hundreds of humans,” he sings on Lonely Boy, “all opening the door and saying, ‘Hello, Newman’” – another Seinfeld reference to file alongside the title of their debut album, The Airing of Grievances." Alexis Petridis, The Guardian

"I listened to all of Angry Hour. Started with an F triad and added some dissonant chords which "slid" into an A triad. Quite the composition there. I think I'll stop there. Such blinding brilliance in allowing a synthesizer to resolve a chord just might make me think about going back to the conservatory. jesus, NPR. Really? With all the amazing talent that is out there, this is a featured album? I understand the need to be different, but this could have easily been done by a child and a keyboard you buy at BestBuy." - Jackass commenter on NPR's First Listen after only listening to the first track and stopping there


I'm still trying to figure out how much I like this album (hint, somewhere between "quite a bit" and "totally"), so at the time of writing I'm going to give it a 4.5.  I've listened to it straight through about 4 times now, and listened to some of my favorite tracks a lot more than that.  

If you're just looking for some rock songs to listen to, I'd recommend No Future IV: No Future TriumphantI Lost My Mind (+@)The Magic Morning-Lookalike-I Lost My Mind (DJ)-Mr. E Mann-Fired Up-Dimed Out (which is probably the area of the album the works the most),the first 4 minutes of S(HE) SAID/S(HE) SAID, Funny Feeling, and Into The Void (Filler).  I think the high point on the album for me is the one-two punch of Fired Up and Dimed Out.

The Most Lamentable Tragedy Tracklist:

"Most days start with a dull ache/Enough weight to crush my face/and I hate to be awake."

"I look alive but inside I'm dead."

Act I: Set Aside or Miserable and Water-Buried
01. The Angry Hour




"...They sell you shit to make you sick/That shit I sell will make you well/Take two of these and break the great Satan's spell."

"I was afraid of what the doctor might say/That I'd be made to learn to pray the right way/But then I saw a brave face say "Being afraid's okay/It's okay."

Act II: Beside Himself
07: The Magic Morning
14: [ intermission ]

"I've always had something inside of me/And it's always been kind of a mystery/Like a child that screams for his wildest dream/It's the font of all madness and misery."

Act III: Down By The Seaside





"My family always saw me as the crazy one/Yeah, we're just two Catholic kids out on the run/Either from God or a guy with a gun."

Act IV: The Other Side or A Midsummer Night's Dream



"Yr at peace when you sleep/Why not an endless dream?"

Act V: Decide
24. The Fall
27. [ seven seconds ]


29. A Moral



BONUS LEVELS:  

Patrick Stickles and (Craig Finn of The Hold Steady) talking rock and roll, TMLT,  and just generally being Patrick Stickles.


Music Video for the majority of Act II of TMLT.



I Had Lost My Mind by Daniel Johnston


A Pair of Brown Eyes by The Pogues

10 comments:

  1. Well, not being part of the the club for the first Titus Andronicus album, I can agree that his voice is pretty awful. Like John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats but with less redeeming qualities. The middle of Stable Boy is just painful.

    That being said, I actually got into the album. I liked more of what you disliked (favorite track is A Perfect Union), and really liked the ebb and flow of the album. Coming out of the intermission into a choral arrangement was hilarious, and the dark nod to Auld Lang Syne was definitely interesting.

    Also appreciate the full circle-ness of it as well - the album starts and ends with the same note, which is cool.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you sort of liked it! I actually really like his terrible voice. I think there's a lot to be said for singers who know they can't hit the notes all the time but try anyway. You don't need to have a great voice for rock and roll anyway, as long as the rest of the package is there and you make it your own.

      Delete
  2. Is it bad that when I first read "Titus Andronicus" I thought this would be an album based on Peeno Noir? (inside joke for those of you who watch Kimmy Schimdt).

    The Most Lamentable tragedy was a really interesting listen. Very raw, sometimes too much so. I had to scratch my head several times throughout but enjoyed it. Favorite part would definitely be Act II. Not something I would come back to but a cool experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit it, The Most Lamentable Tragedy was a real challenge for me. I managed to wrangle two blocks of time to listen to each act right through - that was the hardest-core soundtrack my kid's swim squad practice had ever had! Yes, I was using earphones.

    This isn't my kind of music, and it probably won't stick around long, but it was an intriguing experience and I did find myself wondering/imagining in the days that followed about how things might turn out for Our Hero. Does he find a way to cope with the demons inside? Would the girl in the dream sequence/flashback thingy be as frightened of them as he thought? I think I felt a hint of calmer times coming towards the end... or maybe it was only my (rather girlish) propensity for wanting to believe that there is a 'happily ever after' possible for everyone.

    My favourite tracks were 'Fired Up' and the really unsettling version of 'Auld Lang Syne' with its dissonant guitar chord clock chimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. new rule: i don't think Josh should be allowed any more Titus Andronicus albums.

    "show us your weenis" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOKv0qaA-nw

    review pending. my ears are still bleeding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola from Madrid! I'm listening to it for the seventh time, though that's misleading, because I've only been through it all the way straight through without warping (a little Super Mario lingo for you), but I really like it. I'm hyper-sensitive to voices and his doesn't bother me at all. It definitely rocks, overall. Btw, the all-time popular lyrical genius is Eminem, not Biggie, but perhaps that discussion is a bit out-of-scope. Thanks for introducing us (again, I suppose). You can never get enough T&A. And on that, I'll get back to my honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. damn you Josh. i've now listened to TA's latest 4-5 times while working, and it's caught on. you won. you've converted me.

    solid 4. but i can see it getting better with more listening.

    thanks for nothing.

    ReplyDelete