Monday, August 17, 2015

Leon Bridges - Coming Home



I’m not sure when modern soul became a passion of mine, but great musicians (particularly vocalists) just keep coming up on my radar: Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, Lee Fields & The Expressions, Gregory Porter, and now, Leon Bridges.

If you haven’t jumped on the Leon Bridges train yet, his debut album, Coming Home, is fantastic, and getting all of the attention it deserves. It’s catchy. It’s soulful. It’s refreshing and nostalgic at the same time, and so damn repeatable. From the classic heartbreak “Better Man” to the lovely "Lisa Sawyer" to the ballad-y gospel “River”, the album stays relevant and keeps you engaged.

While it works well at the start of a workday to get into the groove of things and get organized, it’s best for those 45 minutes when you first get home from work and start cooking dinner. Go ahead; chop those onions while you get your groove on.

Jump on the Leon Bridges train.

I really, really enjoy this album.

5/5

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4xljgic6yjufcnq/AABQgaDaxjJGDIU-MdC06vhNa?dl=0

9 comments:

  1. a solid 4 - provides a good backbeat for a WFH day when you're tired of speed metal and/or EDM. but i actually think this album is more appropriate for chopping broccoli...
    https://screen.yahoo.com/derek-stevens-comeback-choppin-broccoli-170405431.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good.
    a clear sound identity but with some very diverse tunes
    I like it a lot!
    4.5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *love* this album, it was actually going to be my submission for this next week's musookclub! I love the stylistic 60's vibe, for some reason feels really fresh. The cutting edge of hipsterism! I saw him in concert a couple of times in the last two weeks (once at Outside Lands festival in SF) and his awkwardness (when not preforming) is so endearing. I've been listening to this one a lot lately...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't seen him live (and he's sold out NYC), but hopefully will one of these days! Can't stop listening to the album.

      Sorry for the steal :). Hopefully the review did it justice...

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed this one as well, a solid four - maybe more if it sticks around and I reckon it might. Good for chopping onions and broccoli, and, as it turns out, doing the laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, my dodgy internet connection frizted out on me and posted the same comment three times... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete