I've only bought one album since my last post, the soundtrack to the movie The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I acknowledge it's a bit of a cop out posting a soundtrack but I'm trying to stick with the musooklub philosophy of posting music that is new to me.
I first saw this movie a few months ago and I regret having missed it at the cinema. While the story itself isn't really anything more than "feel good", I really enjoyed the cinematography and "look" of the film; I found it beautiful and I think I would have found it even more so on the big screen. For me the tracks were deeply wed with the look and feel of the movie, so I was interested to see if they would work as an album.
With the exception of big band music I find I'm not a "deep listener" of albums, I tend to throw music on in the background while I'm doing other things: driving, programming, house chores, etc. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty works perfectly well in this context. This album is equal first choice for both my daughters (age 5 & 2) when we're in the car (tied with Back to the Future) so I've probably heard it fifty times now and I still find myself putting the album on when it's my turn to choose.
My favourite tracks are:
#2 Dirty Paws, Of Monsters and Men
#3 Stay Alive, Jose Gonzalez
#9 The Wolves & The Ravens, Rogue Valley
Get it here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wue3101ov02ohyd/AAD-STQ1OsB-swUtiMaRrh7da?dl=0
I give this album 4 out of 5.

I love soundtracks. They are like another character in the story and they often encapsulate memories for me: hearing the music vividly brings back how I was feeling when I watched the movie.
ReplyDeleteSo I got out The Secret Life of Walter Mitty to see how it all fit together... And Oh. my God. I want to learn how to skateboard!! That scene in Seyðisfjörður (yes, I googled that, no I can't even begin to guess at how to say it properly!) was just awesome. Might have to settle for doing it on my bike. Or get some _really_ good body armour. Or both. Iceland has some epic looking mountain biking opportunities...
Oh, sorry. Where was I? The music. I liked it :-)