Sunday, December 21, 2014

Fat Freddy's Drop - Based on a True Story (2005)

As the final pre-christmas poster I feel a certain obligation to share something in the spirit of the holiday season. I've got a Bublé album which is pretty good, and I'm tempted to share it if only to annoy my brother and fellow musooklubber, Rohan. But even with the softening that came with having children I'm still a grinch at heart so without further ado, something totally and absolutely NOT christmas related...























My pick this week is Based on a True Story by Fat Freddy's Drop, a seven-piece band from Wellington, New Zealand. Their musical style has been characterised as any combination of dub, reggae, soul, jazz, rhythm and blues, and techno. This begs the question, why do we bother categorising music if you're in all of them?

Trendy Old Dudes
I don't have much to say about this album; it's inoffensive and not particularly memorable. That's right, I said not memorable. I can't think of a single chart that stands out from the rest, which I think is why it's my standby driving-home-late album; I can put it on and zone out. It's the kind of band I'd like to hear live in a small boutique-beer-selling venue, but quiet enough so I can still talk to friends. I'm old like that now.

Brisbane folks, you can catch them at the Tivolo next month if you're prepared to be gouged on prices. Take me if you're going :-)

I give this album 3.5. It's not BLOW MY MIND (like every video posted by a generation Y-er) but it's solid. I realise I've done a terrible job of selling it, so here's the link for you to find out for yourself!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/82oqdiroast6o30/AACp5ezpqkqTZDKWjq3UGmjua?dl=0

This band isn't offensive but you know what is? Web sites that play music automatically...like Fat Freddy's homepage. Artists always seem to have the worst web sites.

Me and my helpers...blog posts are short by necessity


1 comment:

  1. I really did not expect to like this as much as I did. Extremely chill and fun to listen to, I've had it on repeat at work for the past few days. 4 for me.

    ReplyDelete