Tuesday, August 19, 2014
Angus and Julia Stone
I'm a couple of days late with my posting (thanks for the nudge Raman), so apologies for that. PLUS I'm playing mega-catchup on my listening homework. Some awesome albums posted recently (well, not so recently) so just wanted to say cheers to everyone.
I'm sticking with the Australian releases this time around. These guys aren't as world-renowned as Nick Cave, but there's a good chance you'll hear some of the tracks on this album hitting the charts in your country.
Angus and Julia Stone are a brother and sister duo who started releasing albums in 2007. Their début effort was huge in Australia and the UK and definitely worth a listen if you enjoy this one. I first heard of them when they were featured in Rough Trade, an awesome independent music store in London, and they quickly became part of my regular playlist. They did the festival circuit for ages in Europe and for some reason I didn't ever catch them. I eventually managed to see them live set when they supported Martha Wainwright. They were awesome, definitely living up to the hype, and much better than Martha (in my view). Although, to be fair, it started snowing halfway through Martha's set and we left to go throw snow at each other instead.
Angus and Julia Stone make chilled music. It has a definite country vibe at times, although their music is typically more indie/folk that boot-scooting. This album, however, has a very distinct country, roots, blues influence, which I actually really liked. The album is produced by Rick Rubin, who described the duo as "truly unique musicians...authentic and pure people who do things from the heart". When you consider who he's worked with, that's quite a compliment (Beastie Boys, Chilli Peppers, Mick Jagger, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, Nine Inch Nails, Weezer, Kanye, Eminem, Lana Del Ray, Metallica, Adele...just to name a few).
Stand out tracks for me are Heart Beats Slow, which was the first single released and will definitely get stuck in your head, and Get Home. Although the whole album is a pretty easy listen. Good for riding the bus/train, reading lengthy and potentially pointless reports, and just generally passing the time.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o4ffxkybnrcdvr5/AAD-XzNFo2U0kAWcg3P07SQ6a
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
so it's clear we're all falling behind. while i've been listening to every new album weekly, i'm finally getting around to writing in my ratings and reviews this weekend.
ReplyDeletefirst - the album cover. it really set me up for an eighties album. i think it's the font and the pink.
more importantly the music. soft, comforting, and hopeful? maybe i've been away from home too long lately, but also a nice album to *start* playigg at 10,000 feet in the air wishing you were at home. vocals were reminiscent of Dylan and Jade Castrinos
about halfway through things pick up though. "Little Whisky" was at first jarring, butreels itself back in nicely. things get a little country/rock-y towards the end, which i'm ok with. many albums usually go in the opposite direction (strong, fast starts, and slowing down towards the end). soothing vocals give way to strong electric guitar beats by the end.
honestly, i wish this album was a shorter/tighter experience. it's a full 72 mins (anyone who's made mix CDs know you can only fit 80 mins in), and most great rock albums try not to exceed 45 mins.i feel like there were many tracks that could have been cut.
so all in all, a solid 4. give me the director's cut and i might give it a 4.5 or a 5.
Sorry I'm a little bit late commenting on this one. It really caught my attention at first listen and I'm really enjoying it so far.
ReplyDeleteI have a feeling the album might end up being a little too long and repetitive and I might get tired of it if I end up listening to it too much too fast but so far I'm enjoying being transported by the melodies of the album. I could also see myself enjoying it more as I end up listening to it even more so we’ll just see where it goes. The introduction from Rohan also helped.
The vocals come off as very strange in the beginning and not what I expected after listening to the first 30 seconds of the album. The male/female mix ends up working very well particularly as she has quite a unique voice.
I’ll give it a 4/5 and imagine it could go up to 4.5 if I keep listening to it in moderate amounts.
I got the same 80's vibe that Raman did from album cover. It's that dusty pink colour, I think.
ReplyDeleteThe first time I tried listening to the whole album I also thought that it went on a bit long, but the next few times around were while I was working/focused on other things so I didn't notice it as much and the quiet, laid back feel of the music lent itself well to helping me concentrate.
Julia Stone certainly does have a unique voice. I first heard her (and her brother) as a part of The Ship Song Project with other Australian artists a few years ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG7wbAfcKUI at 1:38). I couldn't listen to it all the time, but I like it in doses. Along those lines, my favourite song was "Death Defying Acts". She starts sounding almost fragile, but building to something else as the song goes on... like she's hiding a secret or something.
It's a 3.5 for me.