Thursday, July 24, 2014

Ben Howard – Every Kingdom

In a funny way, I discovered Ben Howard without knowing it when my wife made me listen to this slightly but really not that viral cover of him singing “Call me Maybe”. The interpretation was quite good but I despised the song enough to dismiss anything remotely related to it at the time.

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine was visiting New York and encouraged me to listen to him. The music was very soothing and made it immediately to my spring playlist. Some of the songs that will probably stick for being a little bit catchier than the others: Only Love, Old Pine, The Wolves...



You might have already heard this album, it is quite old already (2011 release) and apparently even was quite successful in the UK and the Netherlands. I have to say I think it’s fairly high quality album although it lacks a bit of consistency throughout. I’ll probably end up keeping a couple of songs but I’m not sure how much I’ll listen to the album continuously. Then again, I’m not an avid folk listener.

Enjoy! Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ihb08hehr08jyef/AADCuSr8DQ0idRyAL3WTQCW5a



- Francois

2 comments:

  1. Soothing is a good word that defines this album. It sounds like Ben Harper sometimes, but there is worse for a singer than sounding like Ben Harper. I like his quiet songs like Everything or Black Flies. Some very good background music. 3.5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pleasant and enjoyable, but also seems quite similar to many other artists.

    ReplyDelete