(here's some cool Spider-Man artwork, just because)
You know what the worst/best/worst part of MusooKlub is? 10-12 weeks spent listening to new albums, and then having to come up with something else to recommend (for you to all inevitably musically judge me). Life is hard.
Believe it or not, i actually went thru a 3-4 albums before i could make a decision. Beck’s “Morning Phase”, and a few by a new-to-me band called Little Dragon got some airplay, but just didn’t feel right. I was VERY tempted to simply post Weezers “Blue Album”, since it’s now been 20 years, and it is still one of the greatest rock albums ever made (and recently remastered and re-released). but i didn’t, so i’m sorry, and you’re welcome.
that being said, i hate to stay on the “here’s a new album by an old favorite” bandwagon (see what i did there?), but what can i say - i’m getting old and running out of time, so let’s give this a go...
the Strokes
“Comedown Machine”
(2013)
a few weeks ago, i was in a late night conversation with one of our developers at our company apartment (yea, we have one of those, be jealous, it’s in Cincinnati). many topics were covered - Rails VS Ember, Promoted Pins vs native ads, office gossip, favorite podcasts (Radiolab, hands down), and yes, favorite bands. the Strokes was easily agreed upon, for whom we discovered a new album had dropped last year (that’s what happens when you obsessively work at a startup, you shut a lot of other “noise” out). naturally it made the next few week’s travel playlist of ear-blasting noise to drown out the screaming kids in row 14.
"Comedown Machine" is a solid next stroke (see what i did there?) by a band that’s been if anything, consistent with their release quality over the years. enough familiar head-bopping, with just enough hints of new sounds to keep from being more of the same. not as strong as 2011's Angles (you might ask, like i asked Josh, why not just recommend THAT album). i won’t lie - this one is NOT a perfect album (damn you Francois and your Portugal the Man!).
At first listen, the album was good enough, but continued plays gets a few tracks in your head - in a good way, warming to your sonic tastebuds (earbuds?). A strong start that eventually tapers off into some catchy grooves towards the end. What IS missing is a cohesive narrative, VS just a collection of neat tunes. But there’s always been something about front-man Julian Casablanca’s wailing, droning, and oft-full-throated yells, combined with the catchy hooks and intelligent start-stops that keeps me coming back.
Some Highlights:
- #1: “Tap Out” is my new theme song for feeling cool. I feel like I need a key-tar, a Camaro, and some trendy sunglasses.
- #3: “One Way Trigger” is reminiscent of the Cure (“Tell me, tell me….show me, show me, show me…”) that gets straight into some rock-weirdness. more please.
- #4: “Welcome to Japan” - if only lines like that worked on the ladies of my youth.
- #5: “80s Comedown Machine” - optimistic, trippy, and hopeful at the same time.
- #10: “Happy Ending” - classic happy music. feels like it could be a B-side off an earlier album.
=
Fun anecdote - i remember my first Strokes show - 2002 in Atlanta at the Tabernacle (an old converted church that is still IMHO one of the best venues to see live music). We were in the second balcony, looked over, and saw Mister Andre Benjamin (3000) himself, checking out a band that was getting almost as much critical acclaim as his own Outkast. And he was pretty into it (see afore-mentioned reference to “head-bopping”). Always nice to see fellow musicians expanding their horizons.
Excuse me, but i must now get back to shaking it like a Polaroid picture (see what i did there?)


I think you should refer to that concert as "Your First Stroke".
ReplyDeletePS: Rails vs Ember...does that even make sense?
A big disappointment. I had not heard of that last album, but I know why.
ReplyDeleteI loved so so much and still love their first 2 albums. Real master pieces. After that they did not do much. I think that this one might be one of the worse I have listened.
I like better their slower songs (such as 80's Comedown or Chances), because they are not a pale imitation of what they used to do.
It should be a 2.5, but because they are who they are and they should do better: 2.
This was a big change to the strokes I was expecting, but I don't think it was all bad. The first track is great, I really enjoy listening to it. The rest of the album has grown on me with repeated listenings.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to go a 3.5.
With the exception of 50/50 I quite enjoyed this album. I couldn't pick The Strokes out of a line up so I can't say how this compares with their previous work, but I've enjoyed this more with repeated listening. The first track is my pick of the album.
ReplyDeleteI give this a 3.
I didn't dislike it, but didn't love it. Lots of the songs sounded pretty similar to me.
ReplyDeleteThere were a few songs that stood out for me: Tap Out, Welcome to Japan, Slow Animals and Call it Fate ... (the last one felt really different and drew more attention). I give it a 3.
ReplyDelete