Sunday, February 23, 2014

AM

I've been scambling for a selection for my first choice. I've been in a music hiatus and starting to get back into listening to music...

Since the musooklub hiatus, I've had a baby and moved to a new job (all in a matter of weeks)... I'm finally adjusting to the new normal as my son turned 1 almost 2 months ago and starting to return to listening to music...

a few updates about me (for new and existing members)...
I currently live in Cincinnati - I've been here and away for almost 10 years (time flies!)... that's how I know Raman (via Kathryn). For my day job, I do marketing work for GE Aviation (on environmental strategy).

My selection this week: Arctic Monkeys AM

I've been scrambling the last week to find a good selection for this week. Since my undergrad, I've listened to WICB College Radio, something I've stumbled onto while I was at Cornell (fantastic college radio station btw) and I still casually try to listen to some of their programs online.

I heard R U Mine? on the radio and thought it kept a good beat and catchy. After listening to the album several times, I think I still like Do I Want to Know better.

Overall, I found the album had good beats, had a nostalgic feel to it too. Coming back to the music scene this one is a new one for me and not a typical choice for me as I usually favor mellower tunes.
I'm still giving the album a few more listens ... I give it a 4.

Link to DL: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tuvg5rxb2lyfevq/W8f_fZhQTP

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the Arctic Monkeys album. It gave the occasion to listen to it some more. Actually, I am a bit disappointed by it. I prefer their more dynamic, energetic works. He definitely has a great voice and that makes it a good album, but I have a hard time finding one great hit. I agree that the complete listening of the album is pleasant, but I would not go further than that. I like the opening beat of the album and I like No. 1 Party Anthem, which really sounds melancholic, and reminds me some early 90's ballades.
    So, being kind, I'll put it a 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. normally i'm the guy that can say SOMETHING good about any album i listen to enough (finding the hooks that were supposed to sell me. and yes, my scores are probably inflated above the MK norm. but this one is a 2.

    so i tried...really REALLY hard to like this album. i played it while working. i played it while walking the streets of NY. i played it on the train staring out the window of my train. it's not the soundtrack to anything.

    it's just not that good.

    maybe bc there's a type of sound i expect from the Arctic Monkeys - which makes their debut album title ("Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not") appropriate. "Favorite Worst Nightmare" (album #2) was the last album of theirs that i heard before, and was also quite enjoyable. with AM - they're not the Black Keys or Blur...so they should stop trying. Given the stark difference between albums #1 + #2 and the latest (#5), i'm now curious to hear #3 + #4 to see where exactly they fell off a cliff. so there's that.

    JUST FOR FUN: here's the Arctic Monkeys covering the Beatles at the 2012 London Olympic opening ceremonies: http://goo.gl/YABgze

    i'm on the road for the next 2 weeks, so hope to hear some cool stuff for the airports, rental car counters, blizzards, and lonely hotel rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why come no say Barcardi ad? Me only one watch ads?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listened to this album a few more times. I agree with Raman. I liked a lot of the songs, especially the Bacardi advertisement "Do I Wanna Know?" but didn't think the lyrics matched the tracks. I felt like I was being pulled emotionally in multiple directions, and I didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This album grew on my. Like a fungus. The first listen, I wanted to dislike it. Like Lolobou, I wanted more of the Arctic Monkies of old - up beat, fast and rocking. This album could, at best, be described as morose.

    And yet. The more I listened, the more I listened. The songs got stuck in my head and I found myself recollecting melodies and lyrics instead of listening to moronic colleagues. Now, having been listening to the album for a good few months, I think...I....actually...like it?

    I'm going with an uncertain 3.5

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the overall vibe and sound of this band, but there is a lot of inconsistency in the song writing across the album. I liked a few of the songs like #1 Party Anthem and Snap out of it, but there were too many other songs that made me just want to fast forward to the next song. I give this a 2.5.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This album did nothing for me. I am also stuck on the grammar of "Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?" The tenses seem messed up. Is that just me? Anyway, meh minus.

    ReplyDelete