About the artist:
I went with an oldie this week with Jose Gonzalez's first album Veneer (2006).
According to Wikipedia, he is a Swedish indie folk singer-songwriter of Argentine descent.
I was introduced to him through a friend. About 4 years ago, my friend took me to his concert at the Bowery Ballroom. I was impressed and bought this album after the concert.
I feel he has a less is more feel, with depth and engaging lyrics in his songs.
This album has a generally slow and mellow feel to it.
My favorite tracks are Heartbeats, Crosses, Deadweight on velveteen.
Heartbeats is a cover of The Knife's song, but he molds it into his style.
More about me:
I recently finished my graduate studies at MIT (Technology and Policy Program) and recently moved back to Cincinnati to be with my fiancé and plan a wedding for the fall. I'm currently planning for the big event and sorting out employment in the area.
Not much beyond that - I'm trying to read leisurely again and its taking some time to getting used to reading fiction again ... and trying to catch up with my reviews (again).
the relaxed tempo kept me tapping my feet thru the day. but the dark overtones kept me in a state of suspicious gloom thru most of the afternoons i spent listening to this one.
ReplyDeletei enjoyed the album, but nothing stood out. i guess if i had to pick a few it would be "lovestain", "crosses", and "hints." i like how it briefly picks up at the end.
background/sleepytime music for sure. i hesitate to bring it out for any intense work/driving sessions tho. i'll give it a 3.
I'm stuck in a 150 mile long traffic jam doing 5mph heading from the south of France to Lyon. My baby is screaming in the back and there's no place to pull over. The noise is insane and the French drivers are doing their best impersonations of NYC cab drivers. If my car had weapons I'd be going postal.
ReplyDeleteAfter two hours the traffic breaks and my daughter falls asleep; I can finally listen to a musooklub album. I choose Jose Gonzalez (I'm a few weeks behind :-) and I'm immediately rewarded with an album which seemed written for the occassion. The music has a driving pace which sits nicely as we hurtle through the french countryside, but is also simple and somewhat relaxing. With my headphones on I zone-out and head north...
I didn't note my favourite tracks (it all blended in to one long sound) but I recognised "Crosses" from a mix I downloaded (http://soundcloud.com/jinja-ninja/wait-what-alex-will) so that is definitely my favourite.
While I loved this album (4 out of 5) I have a feeling all of his albums will sound the same. Since I don't have any other albums, does anyone have any thoughts on this?
I know that he came out with another one or two albums since but I haven't gotten a chance to listen to them in their entirety. I've listened to 1-2 songs from his newer albums and it didn't sound too different from his first album.
ReplyDelete