Ok, after countless harassing emails from Raman, here is my pick. (Sorry Raman).
When he told me about the idea for this group, the album "Dreams" by Whitest Boy Alive immediately came to mind. This is the sort of album that just sort of got passed around, but never really got much press. Five years ago, I would never have told you that I was into electronic music, but that was pre-LCD Soundsystem and pre-Whitest Boy Alive. I love this album! At one point, it was the "most-played" album on my itunes. Its great in its entirety -- which is a rarity. And it manages to take electronic sounds and make them warm and rich. Its great as background music, but also great when put into focus.
Here is the drop: http://drop.io/whitest
Wiki:
The Whitest Boy Alive started as an electronic dance music project in 2003 in Berlin, but have since slowly developed into a band with no programmed elements. Their German record label is Bubbles. Their debut album Dreams was released on June 21, 2006 in Germany. In July 2007, Modular Records signed them to their UK imprint and the band played their first UK performance with New Young Pony Club at the London Astoria in September 2007. The album was released in the UK with the single Burning in November 2007. The band released their second album Rules in March 2009. It was recorded in a newly built studio located on Punta Burros, Nayarit, Mexico.[citation needed]
The band started The Whitest Boy Alive + The New Wine tour in April, 2009, visiting Germany, Denmark, United Kingdom, Switzerland, France, Netherlands, Belgium, and Sweden
My music taste:
When I worked in a record store in high school, my boss described my tastes as "that nazi lesbian shit." I still love Ani and Liz, and I still adore female singers, but my tastes have branched out considerably since then. I love neo-country, classic rock, that indie hipster crap, etc. But mostly, my music should fall into one of three categories: 1) I can read or relax while listening to it, 2) I can sing along to it, or 3) I cannot help but dance when a song is on.

3/5 - i REALLY enjoyed the opening of this album - the first few tracks were solid, i have trouble determining if i like #1: "burning" or #3: "fireworks" more (a statement that will likely be taken out of context when i try run for office in several years). a really good get up and go =)
ReplyDeletebut THEN the album just drops off a cliff into chillsville, which didn't help me thru work - whether it be the AM sleepies or the post lunch doldrums. i kept looking thru the final tracks for something reminiscent of the opener, but kept getting let down =(
I am really into this album. Good pick, Kana. It's pretty catchy, but mellow enough to be background music. Sort of like a low-key LCD Soundsystem.
ReplyDeleteI started listening to this album thinking, "wow, this band really sounds like Kings of Convenience" - and looked up and the singer is part of KOC. I found that Whitest Boy Alive was a little more experimental than KOC, especially towards the end.
ReplyDeleteI liked Golden Cage. The first couple of songs were upbeat - I especially liked the instrumental part of Burning. The songs had a more experimental feel to it starting at Above You.
I'm in a similar place to Raman. The album gets off to a pretty good start with the first 3 songs - Burning, Golden Cage and Fireworks. But then it gets a bit more mellow and repetitive for my liking. 3 out of 5.
ReplyDelete