
Kari recommends (week of April 4):
The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You
DL link: http://drop.io/theavettbros
Why I Like It
Though I'm a relative newcomer to the Avett Brothers, I and Love and You became one of my favorite albums of 2009. Perhaps the timing was just right: I had descended deep into the valleys of a country-obsessed phase, spending trips home combing through my Dad's collection of Merle, Conway, and the Hanks (a collection that, as a teenager, I had surely scoffed at: "Really, Dad, Willie Nelson?!") and researching the many, often overlooked bluegrass and folk influences on some of my favorite modern-ish bands.
But this album doesn't sound or feel like a typical country album. There's piano, cello, and full-on Rick "Brought Johnny Cash Back" Rubin production that warms up the Bros' folksy sound into an epically smoldering package. (It should be noted that this album is the band's major label debut; epic was probably part of the deal.) On first listen, don't be surprised if some of the songs seem a little too sincere, a tad too earnest, maybe too simple. But with a few listens, I think you'll find these songs pulling you back for more.
About the Band
From Wikipedia:
Favorite Tracks
The Avett Brothers (pronounced /ˈeɪvɨt/) are a folk-rock band from Concord, North Carolina. The band is made up of two brothers, Scott Avett and Seth Avett, who play the banjo and guitar respectively, and Bob Crawford who plays the stand-up bass. They are often joined on tour by cellist Joe Kwon. Risen from the ashes of Seth and Scott's former rock band Nemo, the Avett Brothers combine bluegrass, country,punk, pop melodies, folk, rock and roll, honky tonk, and ragtime to produce a sound described by the San Francisco Chronicle as having the "heavy sadness of Townes Van Zandt, the light pop concision of Buddy Holly, the tuneful jangle of the Beatles, the raw energy of the Ramones."
#1 "I and Love and You" is as solid a title track as they come; darkly cinematic and full of the Bros' trademark killer harmonies
#5 "The Perfect Space" is like the ultimate coming of age song, elegant, moody and self-assured
My Musical Background/About Me
I was lucky to have an older brother who introduced me to great music when I was a pre-teen, saving me from the top 40 stuff that I would have otherwise likely embraced for all of adulthood. I grew up listening to my dad's country music and my mom's collection of pop (Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson and the like). I love finding new music (thanks, Musooklub!), but if left to my own devices, I tend toward the eclectic indie-pop stuff (anything with piano and harmonies gets major points).
I live in Brooklyn!
Play Count: 10
ReplyDeleteRating: 4
I was naughty and listened to track 12 first while the other songs were downloading, and my first thought was of Ben Folds. If Blues Traveler and Ben Folds had a baby and that baby started a band, it might sound something like The Avett Brothers. Having two daddies might also provide plenty of fodder for country music vocals. But back on topic...
I really enjoyed this album. Kari, totally agree - the first song is great! I particularly like the variety on this album, it was interesting from top to bottom.
Kick Drum Heart made me think of Pain, maybe it's the silliness or cheesiness of it. But I like it :-)
The album cover creeps me out a bit. Is that a football helmet?
PS: I was really looking forward to getting comments on the album I posted, it was exciting waiting too see what everyone else thought of my choice ("I'm too cool to care what anyone else thinks, but I hope they like my music"). You've had to wait over two weeks for your first comment...I hope you're not the nervous type :-)
ReplyDeletePlay count: 5
ReplyDeleteRating: 3
I liked it, semi-twangy sound reminded me of Cracker (minus the snarky/humorous/sarcastic lyrics). Definitely made the demolition of my kitchen all the more sweeter.
Only critique is that I would have loved a bit more "bite" to the sound.
i'm probably not setting a good example with my reviews being so far behind, but my excuse is traveling around for 2 weeks somewhere i couldn't pull down new music from, and racing to get caught up with life as usual upon my return (to be fair though, i tried to secretly con kari + andy to send me their albums before i left the US).
ReplyDeletethe avett brothers - the first few plays honestly didn't do too much for me, but probably because i was listening too hard (mentally fixated on other things my first week back at work). i took a few days off from it, opting for NPR in the car. but a few night later, when organizing pictures, something clicked. those first few plays must have lodged it somewhere in the back of my cerebellum, because the 4th/5th time around, i felt like i was catching up with an old, silly (and really good) friend again. so i'm a fan. a big fan (despite the lack of bite bob mentions, not everyone has to be a badass). this is probably a first* for the musooklub, but I'M GIVING THIS ONE A 5/5 (*bc kari rating her album a 5 doesn't count =).
to me it's just a solid, enjoyable album (that is very different from anything i would pick left to my own devices), and while i have trouble picking favorites (as i appreciate the flow of the entire album, start to finish), i'm going to higlight "january wedding", "and it spread", "kick drum heart", "slight figure of speach", and "it goes on and on [an oahhh-oahhhn]."
i'm proud to say this musooklub is fulfilling the (selfish) reasons i started it, as there is NO WAY i would have come to this album on my own (as with the rest of these posted albums). so thanks to everyone for humoring me and keeping this little social music experiment going strong. i look forward to hearing what's next (esp since i'm 3 albums behind)
I like this album the more I listen to it. It has thoughtful lyrics with a nostalgic/refreshing feel to it. I actually heard 'Slight Figure of Speech' before, its nice putting into the context with rest of the album. My favorites: January Wedding, Ten Thousand Words, Kick Drum Heart, Ill With Want.
ReplyDeleteForgot to put my rating: 4
ReplyDelete(4.5, w/ increased resolution)
This album gets better the more I listen to it. It even has me thinking if I should go see them when they come out to Portland in July...I'm raising my rating to a 4.5 since we're allowed halfsies!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you guys like this one! This album really can grow on you, so if you like it now, just wait for the obsessive phase that will hit in a week or two.
ReplyDeleteI give this a 4.5, but that was easy since I've been listening to it for a couple of months. The Avett Brothers have become one of my favorites this year, and this is a great album.
ReplyDelete