i'm starting a club. a music book club. you're invited.so here's the deal (if you're in, comment below):
WHO: 13 sign up. 6 boys. 6 girls. me. this is my club, so i pick who joins. why you? i think your musical taste is a step ahead of most (myself included). also, when our lives intersected, we shared some common interests (not necessarily music). also, we've probably traded/talked music, or maybe even gone to a show together. everyones write a little profile entry so we all get to know one another.
WHAT: we all take turns sharing with the group an album we've heard in the past ~12 months. everyone listens, everyone reviews (scale of 1 to 5, with further commentary/discussion welcomed). basically, i'm crowd-sourcing my new (to me) music consumption. but everyone wins, really.
WHEN: every week. assignments are given out Sunday nights (via this blog). we listen to it during the week. afterwards, reviews/discussions ensue.
WHERE: on the internet, silly. we'll use this blog, free file-hosting (drop.io), a Google doc, and maybe even the YouFace. beyond that, in your ears, on the train, at your desk, in your car, at the gym, etc. maybe we'll schedule a 1-year reunion in Alaska.
WHY: this is a longer answer...
i like music. i don't listen to enough music (there's plenty out there, just no working filters for me).
radio-stations, streaming sites, magazines, podcasts, soundtracks, mixtapes, MP3-dumps, and word-of-mouth from trusted sources (usually you) give me TONS of ideas of what's out there. but like you, i keep busy. so more often than not, i don't make the real "leap to listen" (and learn more). we all eventually go back to whatever's comfortable, familiar, and nothing really changes (enough).
until now (with your help).
i like hearing songs. i like seeing bands. but most of all, i like listening to albums. from start to finish, an album, like a good book or film, lets you only know how you feel about it if/when you make it to the end. unlike books/films, this often takes 2-3 tries. what's even better about albums - you can easily experience it over (and over) again.
if you participate in this club, like me, you'll have a GREAT method to listen to something new(ish) EACH week - from 12 other somewhat diverse people around the world. and at the end of the year, you'll have listened to 50+ new albums.
so welcome to my musooklub. i hope you'll join. once i have a full group signed up, i'll get this thing started.
I'm in. I vote we do Britney for the first week.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea. As it happens, I am in serious music mode now and am listening to alot of interesting stuff. Count me in.
ReplyDeleteLove it. I'm in. I like the idea of discussing whole albums, but I think we should also leave it open to the possibility of a song of special interest. (A collab that's particularly interesting or something from an upcoming album that we're really excited about etc.)
ReplyDeleteI'm in.
ReplyDeleteI haven't been listening to many albums lately.
As for new music, I've been streaming Ithaca's College Radio, mostly their electric revolution program on Mondays, where they feature new music.
I am in. I love music, and I need an excuse to hear more of it. Plus, I can't wait to make fun of Raman's old punk taste. :)
ReplyDeleteBrilliant idea. I'm in and maybe this will inspire me to get off my but and pick up the guitar and write music again too...
ReplyDeleteI'm in. That said don't really listen to albums, I like to listen to one song over and over until i gradually hate it. Its a great system.
ReplyDeleteOh yes everyone should listen to woxy.com for great new music (and no Raman & Kat for the 1000th time I am not paid off by them)
I'm in. I miss learning about new music.
ReplyDeleteI'm a little slow to respond, but I'm in.
ReplyDelete