Monday, March 22, 2010

Mulatu Astatke - Ethiopiques, Vol. 4: Ethio Jazz & Musique Instrumentale




















Kaberi recommends (week of March 21):

Mulatu Astatke - Ethiopiques, Vol. 4: Ethio Jazz & Musique Instrumentale

Why I liked it:

I was introduced to Mulatu Astatke's music through the soundtrack of the film Broken Flowers, which I did not like much. But I am glad I watched it because I found the music really interesting and charming with the horns and vibraphone. Even though it is a fusion sound, it really appealed the classical musician in me (I studied Hindustani Classical music for many years). It has a transporting quality and I feel as though I am in a Satyajit Ray Feluda story - a small dusty town, an old Ambassador, a diffident character, lazy police officers, hypotheses over cups of tea, an uncanny twist...

I was hesitant to pick this album as I felt perhaps I liked it largely at a cultural level but I feel a little confident that others may like it because some of the songs were part of an American film. I greatly admire bold and unprecedented musical endeavors that literally create new genres and Astatke has done just that with this collection. I also like that it can serve as non invasive background music (as I have grown older, I tend to get distracted by vocals if I'm trying to concentrate) while getting work done. And most importantly, all tracks have a sense of continuity that it critical for a successful album. They all work towards conveying the same message. For these reasons, I give Ethiopiques a 4 out of 5.

You can download the album from here.

About the artist:

Astatke is heralded as the father of Ethio-jazz and was actually the first African student at Berklee College of Music where he was trained in jazz, the form of music he realised blended so beautifully with traditional Ethiopian music. His other successful album is a collaboration with The Heliocentrics, a London based 'psyche-jazz' collective in an album called Inspiration Information Vol. 3. Wikipedia tells me that he has released a two-disc set to be sold exclusively to passengers of Ethiopian Airlines, with the first disc being a compilation of the different styles from different regions of Ethiopia and the second being studio originals. If anyone gets their hands on the set (I don't see myself visiting Ethiopia in the immediate future), do let me know what it's like.

Favourite tracks:

#1 Yekermo sew used to be my favourite as it was the bridge between watching Broken Flowers and discovering Ethiopique.

#3 Kasalefkut hulu reminds me a jeep ride on a bumpy desert terrain with a peculiar sight in the horizon. No, I won't tell you what it is. Listen to the song and tell me what you see.

But the funkiest is #5 Yegelle tezela and I chanced upon this unbelievable video of Balu the Bear dancing with King Louis and the monkeys in The Jungle Book (my favourite Disney movie of all time so far and all time to come) to the tune of Yegelle tezela and that's when it went straight to No. 1 and it has been there ever since. Don't miss the video; it is sheer genius.



Kaberi's musical background:

It would not inaccurate to describe my musical tastes as vast and at times, unusual. The only uniting theme would be that it is all melodious (noise does not work for me) so I prefer an album like Tonic to The Dropper when it comes to MMW or like Raman, Kind of Blue to Sketches of Spain when it comes to Miles. Don't worry, I like other genres too - I like rock (Gomez, Coldplay), nu jazz and lounge and downtempo (Koop, Thievery Corporation, Portishead), contemporary Bollywood (vibrant songs to which swift costume changing and hip thrusting are mandatory. Why? Because it is better that way!), Hindustani Classical (Rashid Khan, Hari Prasad Chaurasia) or just random stuff (Nomo, Tab Two). Next month I am attending a Viktor Wooten concert and the last artist I listened to today was Susanne Vega on my ipod when I took my dog, Gin for a walk. Isn't she gorgeous?


12 comments:

  1. Hey Kaberi - did you post the music on the drop.io site? Didn't see a link but perhaps I missed it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was embedded in the email (but the zip download is not available):
    http://drop.io/astatkeethiopiques#

    ReplyDelete
  3. after a few too many listens this week, this album JUST crosses the line into 4-territory.

    given its consistency and...flair? but VS fading away as most albums i find similar, it ends abruptly, leaving me hanging, wanting more. i guess that can be a good or bad thing.

    though to be honest, i really had a LOT of fun with this one. it took me back to humid high school afternoons in Alabama, slaving away in an art studio over a etching plate/carving block amidst ink fumes. but as most of the album was actually listened to in my new top-secret office environs, it allowed me feel like i was doing something sneaky/illicit in a cool spy movie (not quite 007, but at least Maxwell Smart or Sterling Archer). though i'm not sure if i could listen to these guys on the train or a road-trip (unless of course i was also en-route to some undisclosed location, while evading the Chechnian mafia with the Algerian ambassador's double-agent daughter in the passenger-seat).

    yep. definitely a 4/5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andy

    Blogger doesn't seem to notify me of comments so I didn't know you hadn't found the link. Thanks, Raman, for sharing it with everyone. Andy, looking forward to your rating and views.

    Raman,

    I really liked your visualisation of the spy film. I think the music has that exciting mysterious kind of vibe about it which makes it so appropriate to a movie soundtrack. Happy that you enjoyed it and gave it a 4/5. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember watching Broken Flowers and leaving disappointed as I'm a fan of Bill Murray. Anyways, onto the review...

    I actually bought this CD after watching the movie - intrigued by the music. The album in general is very lounge-friendly, sometimes a lot of the songs sort of blend together (a bit too much, sometimes I forget it is 14 individual songs - whether that's a good thing or bad). A few songs became a little too repetitive.

    There were some favorites of mine (particularly because they stood out): Metche dershe, Yegelle tezela, Munaye, Dewel.

    I agree with Raman's comment, especially Dewel - sort of jazzy, hippy Hitchcock-esque.
    I give this album a 4/5.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jieun

    Looks like I am not the only one who was disappointed with the film, despite being a Murray fan. :) And I agree that the album can sound repetitive because some parts of songs are similar to others and tend to blend in together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Play Count: 4
    Programming: 4
    Driving: 3
    At Home: 4
    Overall: 4

    I've never seen or heard of Broken Flowers so I didn't have any imagery to associate with the album. That's probably a good thing, because I think this album really invites the listener to drift away and imagine a different space. I was quite disappointed with the first song, it felt a bit like a rehearsal take, but things definitely improved from there. I tried hard to imagine a Jeep in Kasalefkut hulu (#3), I even jumped in *my* Jeep and drove around for a bit but this one didn't do it for me. However I *love* Tezeta (#4), definitely my favourite form the album (I actually see a Jeep and dusty road in this one).

    I'm not sure when the album was recorded (70s?), but I found something about the recording particularly distracting. Maybe the mp3 bitrate was too low or it's just an artifact of it being an old recording, but I'd love to hear a modern (or live) recording.

    I also agree with Raman, the more I listen to this the better it gets. I think I'll be listening to this one quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this, Kaberi. I'll admit to being a total Ethio-jazz novice, so it's been really cool listening to this. I was originally going to give it a 3, but the Jungle Book dance mashup to Yegelle tezela sealed the deal on this getting a 4 from me. What a great song.

    I actually like the slight gritty sound to the recording - adds to the soulful feel of the whole thing.

    It might seem shallow, but one of the reasons I was tempted to give it a 3 is because of the sometimes overwhelming presence of the flute. (I'm assuming it's a flute - sounds like it at least?) But instrumentation in general is amazing - like on Tezeta, that sax/piano (or vibraphone maybe?) combo is gorgeous.

    Excited to add this one to the collection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kari

    Haha. Great to know the Jungle Book video was the clincher for you! I think the flute-ish instrument is the vibraphone. I am an ethio-jazz novice myself. :) Do share if you come across more such music. In India, such stuff is just not available.

    Oh and I love the scratchiness of the record too. It has a certain charm to it. But yeah, I agree with Ben as well - should be interesting to hear a modern recording.

    Listening to Ben's album now. I like this club. Great idea, Raman!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh, i super dig this. its smooth, and interesting and just right for the mood I am in. it is interesting, but not intrusive. it makes me feel like i am a character in an old movie set somewhere exotic. giving this a 4 for now, but this might have to be bumped up to a 5.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, I'm already delinquent on this review but my excuse is traveling out of country and not getting to this before last Sunday. Plus, I also think it's better late than never to do this.

    Overall, this album sets a great mood and really transports you into a mystery/spy movie kind of feel. The musicianship is great, and the album flows together well. My favorite tracks were Yekermo Sew and Yegelle Tezela - the Jungle Book video was great too.

    I want to give this album a 4 because it does a really good job and although I'm not an expert on the genre, I'm sure is one of the better in it. However, I also have to be honest with myself that I probably won't be queing this up in my iPod or Car very often (maybe because it's just not the typical music I listen to, sad as that sounds), which tells me I should probably rate this a 3. If Raman would allow half ratings (as pointed out by Ben in his recent posting), I would give this album a 3.5 (or 7 out of ten!)

    Thanks for sharing - I'm going to enjoy expanding my muscial horizons with this Klub.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really digged this selection

    Rating: 4.5

    ReplyDelete